Friday, September 11, 2009

And We're Live in 3...2...1...

On September 9th, 2009, I attended my first LIVE session. What an experience! I know that I wasn't the fast chatter like others were, but it was interesting to be listening to the professor and reading the conversations of students at the same time. It was as if I was in school, except of course my classroom was my bedroom, and I was lounging in bed attending a lecture. I <3 technology!

We talked a lot about metadata this past lecture. What is metadata, you ask? For me personally, metadata is data about any data. A card from a card catalog? Metadata. The copyright information on the back of a title page? Metadata. The information that you get when you select a document and press apple + i? Metadata! Some people do not accept the first two examples as metadata, as they do not pertain to electronic sources, but I like the more inclusive definition.

A large portion of the student discussion was about the "evils" of Google. I'm not sure whether I would define Google evil- I AM using their amazing free blogging website (wink wink), and I use Google to search every day. The "evil" students talk about are Google Books, something that sounds great at first but as you think about it, not so great. In the end, Google is a for profit company- for them, putting books online isn't exactly for the greater good, but rather for the greater profit. I do not know what to think about all of this, I guess I'll have to read some comments.

Next time, I'll talk about our group project!

No comments:

Post a Comment