Sunday, July 19, 2009

Libraries, Museums, and Archives, oh my!

Our second lecture of the day was about the similarities between libraries, museums, and archives. It seems that they all have problems with ownership >.<

We had a discussion about critical thinking today that really made me think critically (ha). Should libraries be preoccupied with engaging their patrons to critically think? I say yes. Why have all of these choices around them, if they do not think they have to pick it up? I started a thread about this in our forum for the class, and I do agree with everyone that we should broaden the idea of critically thinking. I still believe that even public libraries should inspire people to reflect on their lives, beliefs, etc because sometimes, public libraries are all a person has in terms of a way of improving themselves. I don't mean to become the devil's advocate for every user that walks through the door, but rather indirectly.

A lot more is put on the board, and I might write about it later, but frankly my brain hurts. Talk about an information overload! I think I got the meaning of the The Faerie Queen article....I think. At least we have a big chunk of time tomorrow to our own devices, one I hope to use to write my tracking paper. For now, I will go to sleep before my eyes cross x.x

No comments:

Post a Comment