Saturday, July 18, 2009

The first lecture

I should have written this earlier instead of saving it for now, when I really just want to go to sleep. That means that this will not be as long as I wanted it to be, but please bear with me. And anyway, I still have a whole week to make up for it.

The first lecture was not what I expected it to be. Every person I've met here is just so nice! Everyone involved with preparing and executing this class really thought about our wants and needs, and created the syllabus accordingly. Sitting in lecture today (well I guess yesterday by my clock) just made all the puzzle pieces fit. They understand we have a lot on our brains, and do not want us to totally freak out about this course. Thank you, whoever I have to thank, that these people know what we wanted to hear in that first class. There are few such intuitive people out there. Maybe I can say, that librarians just become good at knowing what information to give out to their students so they act the way they need to act?

The Sociological point of view of most of our reading assignments make sense now. I get it that being a librarian is more than just gathering and preserving information. In the end we are symbols of what Mill wanted, freedom of thought and opinions. Now it makes perfect sense to start this process of getting the MLS with such articles- it instills in us the morals that librarians must have in order to call themselves librarians.

Overall I was blown away by the first class. I have tried to explain why, but I am not sure I made too much sense. At this moment, I can say that I am really happy I got into this program.

One last thought before I go to bed and hopefully wake up in time to find a good seat in class. I have been thinking about this for a while, not sure whether there is an answer. If we are supposed to be proponents of the freedom of information, why do we have tuition? I feel that tuition is basically us paying for the right to get information....

No comments:

Post a Comment